Who Are We?|
Mayflower Medalist Inc. dba Golf Max is a family owned and operated business that has been providing quick, reliable service to golf professionals and specialty golf stores since 1934.
If you are running a golf shop or specialty golf store, please use us as your personal warehouse. Golf is a sport we can all enjoy, and we believe it is best serviced by golf professionals and specialty golf retailers who are passionate about the sport. It is that segment of the market that truly adds value to the sport, and it is that segment of the market we are dedicated to servicing.
Brothers George and Henry Kovall formed a partnership in the 1920s to sell apparel to local golf pros. In 1934 they incorporated in New York City as Mayflower-Medalist Ltd. After WWII they capitalized on their 5th Avenue location in two ways. First, they provided free office and meeting space for the Met. Section of the PGA at this prestigious location. Second, it was strategically located close to the largest Post Office in the country, which enabled Mayflower to lead in the concept of prompt shipments (UPS and Fedex did not exist yet, so all shipments went either by Railway Express or through the US Post Office).
The brotherís Kovall ventured into golf tees when Bullard Lumber Co. produced a wooden tee as an alternative to teeing balls up on a little mound of sand. Pride Mfg. expanded on this, and suggested setting up regional tee distributors. We have been a Pride distributor ever since.
In the 1960s Mayflower-Medalist began buying golf grips for a yet untapped "replacement" market. The concept took hold and replacing worn grips is now as common as replacing worn tires on your car.
With the replacement market clearly established, Mayflower Medalist became one of Golf Prideís first distributors, and we remain the largest east coast grip distributor in the country. More recently Winn, SuperStroke, Lamkin, Tacki-Mac, and Avon have been added to our grip lines.
By 1976 Mayflower needed more space. A new industrial complex was purchased, thirteen miles from Manhattan, in Paterson, NJ. Two years later Mayflower moved to this site, and simultaneously began doing business as Golf Max to better identify the nature of our operations. Our new spacious location at the cross-roads of the NJ Turnpike, Interstate 80, the Garden State Parkway, and a score of local highways, air, and rail links enabled us to make our motto---"We are our customerís warehouse"---a reality. Our dedication to quick, accurate service remains a hallmark of our business.
By 1990 we added a repair and custom club making service so we could better help our customers provide more "value added" services. To further support computer oriented golf professionals and specialty retailers, we added this wholesale level buying website in 2007.
In 2011 we added a second warehouse located in Georgia to better serve our Southeast customers. This second warehouse has allowed us to improve our delivery times for customers located in the Southeast, and has allowed us to continue on our commitment to providing all customers quick, reliable service.
In 2017 we opened our third warehouse in Ohio, to complement our two other locations, so that we could service the majority of the eastern half of the country with next day delivery. It is our continued dedication to service as we strive to be our customerís local warehouse.